Light Rail Safety
Light Rail Safety Begins with You!
For light rail safety training or more information, please contact Metro Transit at (612) 373-3333 or contact them through their website.
Make safety a priority
The METRO Green Line is a great asset to the Twin Cities. The new light rail line covers 11 miles and connects downtown Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota, downtown Saint Paul and the neighborhoods in between.
METRO Green Line trains are operating on tracks in the corridor. Now is the time to talk to your family and neighbors about how to be safe around light rail. Help us make safety a priority!
Safety is a shared responsibility
Light rail poses safety risks only to those who intentionally ignore warnings and barriers, Obey the warning signs near the tracks and rail stations.
Getting to know the simple safety tips now will help make all the difference.
Safety near rail stations
- Trains can come on any track, at any time, from either direction. Don’t assume you know when and where to expect a train.
- Trains move faster than they appear and they cannot stop as quickly as a car
- Be alert near platforms and intersections. Loud music, headphones, and mobile devices can distract you.
Tracks aren’t a place to explore
- Never walk or play on tracks — it’s dangerous and illegal!
- Cross tracks only in designated areas.
- Never bike or skateboard on the tracks.
Listen up! Light rail trains are quiet!
- Unlike freight trains, you might not hear a light-rail train approaching.
- Pay attention near the tracks. Listen for horns and warning bells.
- Look both ways before crossing the tracks by car, bike or on foot.
Reminders for motorists
- Trains don’t have steering wheels and can’t swerve out of your way.
- Never try to beat a train through a light. The train will clear the intersection in a few seconds.
- Obey all traffic signals and warning signs.
This information is provided by Metro Transit. For light rail safety training or more information, please contact Metro Transit at (612) 373-3333 or contact them through their website.